The St. Luke’s Board of Visitors (BOV-C) is a committee of the Board of Trustees that is dedicated to serving the Elders of St. Luke’s Home through volunteer service and fundraising.
Organized in November 1917, its original purpose was to assist St. Luke’s Sanatorium, a facility that opened in February 1918 to treat men with tuberculosis. St. Luke’s has gone through several transitions in its lifetime. In July 1980, St. Luke’s opened as a residence for women of limited means; at the time a joint project of the BOV-C and the Junior League of Tucson. In 2000, a renovation of the facility resulted in its current use as an assisted living facility for 64 older women, men and couples of limited financial means.
The Board of Visitors began its fundraising activities with a “Silver Tea” in 1918. A year later, a dance was added to raise additional funds. In 1923, the event was named the Baile de las Flores and continues today as the oldest charity event in Tucson.
The BOV-C’s mission is to provide assistance by working directly with or in support of the Elders. In addition to organizing and supporting the annual Baile, members are encouraged to do volunteer service at the Home each year.
Volunteer activities include monthly birthday/theme parties, accompanying Elders on weekly shopping trips, friendly visiting with Elders, organizing a holiday boutique of nominally-priced gifts at the Home for Elders to do their shopping, as well as other volunteer activities. Over the years many close, personal relationships have developed between Elders and BOV-C members.