Interim Culinary Cook
Reports to: Culinary Manager
Status: Full-time; Non-Exempt (hourly)
This position is a 90-day Interim position with the possibility of opportunity for permanent employment.
St. Luke’s Home is an assisted living facility whose mission is to provide for low-income Elders a high quality-of-life assisted living community built on innovative models of health and wellness, ensuring independence, aging with dignity, respect, and self-empowerment for all.
As a member of our team, you are part of a group of dedicated people who are committed to creating an environment that promotes the well-being of all, is dedicated to eliminating (combatting) loneliness, helplessness and boredom, and wherever possible decisions are made by those who live here or those working closest to them. We believe in the value of person-directed care. This is why we have chosen to weave the Eden Alternative Philosophy and Principles deeply within our organization. We are a community where becoming well-known and developing close and caring relationships matter.
The Cook makes sure all Elders receive nutritious food that looks and tastes good in a clean environment. The cook assists the Culinary Manager in menu planning, maintaining Elder meal attendance records, and makes sure food is served in a clean, healthy, pleasant way. Other tasks are to clean and sanitize dishes, utensils and cookware, and kitchen surfaces, prepare the kitchen for inspections, and assist with food ordering and storage.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
- The cook is responsible for following all recipes and daily menus.
- The cook is to follow all cooking procedures to ensure food is cooked to the right temperatures.
- Follows up with serving staff to ensure they are informed of any changes in the daily menus
- Works closely with the Culinary Manager on menu planning and supply ordering
- Meals to be prepared may include: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- May also serve Elders in Dining Room, taking food and drink orders
- Serves snacks, meals and fluids
- Prepares, plates, and serves food items using procedures to maintain quality and sanitation.
- Puts stock away, which may require lifting, in a manner to prevent food spoilage
- Cleaning duties using proper procedures specific to the area being cleaned (e.g., dining room, dish area, stock room, kitchen)
- Wash dishes or cooking utensils following accepted standards of practice
- Proper storage of prepared and unprepared food items maintaining quality of the products
- Ensures compliance with sanitation standards
- Follows dress code including proper footwear.
- Participates on designated committees and meetings
- Use of dietary equipment, once trained, to chop, blend, puree and cook, etc.
- Follows established policies and procedures
- Attends monthly/quarterly all-staff and department meetings to stay informed of the department needs and changes in procedures
- May participate in set-up to break-down of events, as assigned.
- Deep Cleaning as scheduled (every six months)
- Other duties as assigned
Required skills and qualifications:
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English
- High School Diploma or GED
- Prefer 2-3 years of food service experience
- Current TB test, First Aid and CPR Certification, Fingerprint Clearance Card, Serv Safe Managers Certification
- Must pass a drug test
- Experience in Assisted Living Communities