Culinary Director/Executive Chef– St. Luke’ s Home
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Status: Full-time; Non-exempt
St. Luke’s Home is an assisted living facility whose mission is to provide for the care and well-being of elderly women, men and couples of limited financial means in a caring environment, respectful of Elders’ rights. As a member of our team, you work with a group of dedicated people who are committed to creating an environment that promotes the well-being of all, is dedicated to eliminating (combatting) loneliness, helplessness and boredom, and wherever possible decisions are made by those who live here or those working closest to them. We believe in the value of person-directed care. This is why we have chosen to weave the Eden Alternative Philosophy and Principles deeply within our organization. We are a community where becoming well-known and developing close and caring relationships matter.
The Culinary Director/Executive Chef is a full-time, exempt position that is responsible for the day to day operations and staffing for the kitchen, dining, and catering venues of our community.
Growing and Supporting Our Community
In this community, we all have a role in caring for those around us. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for directing, managing and supervising all Culinary Services staff including scheduling, assignments, direction, performance review (including input on pay adjustments), hiring and corrective actions consistent with company policy.
- Responsible for directing, managing and supervising all Catering Services staff including scheduling, assignments, direction, performance review (including input on pay adjustments), hiring and corrective actions consistent with company policy.
- Meets regularly with Culinary Committee and Elders to confirm that high satisfaction levels are maintained.
- Works with key staff members so that they all have a clear understanding of how to provide high levels of customer service and how to create a restaurant style dining atmosphere.
- Confirm that the front of house and back of house staff work closely together to deliver a food product that exceeds the Elder’s and/or guest’s expectations.
- Assists Kitchen staff with back and front of the house operations as needed. This includes the ability to work all stations in the kitchen and/or dining room, if needed.
- Works with the COO and front line staff to obtain and maintain department Customer Satisfaction and Quality Enhancement levels at or above designated scores.
- Delegates tasks to all staff so that the kitchen and dining areas are maintained at the highest levels of cleanliness and quality at all times.
- Ensures that all food is prepared, stored, and served according to established SLH P&Ps, standards and with state and/or local health code requirements.
- Maintains Elder Dining Satisfaction scores at or above designated scoring levels.
- Interviews and hires staff for the Culinary Services department.
- Conducts and participates in monthly/quarterly department meetings/in-services
- Able to understand and maintain monthly and annual budgets for the Culinary Services department and catering including producing written documentation of monthly expenses for food, supplies, and labor.
- Works with the staff and Elders in the planning and development of recipes and menus based on Elder’s likes and dislikes and monthly budgets.
- Ensures that all staff are trained in the proper use and maintenance of equipment to avoid damage and costly repairs.
- Maintains the appropriate inventory of catering and kitchen supplies, small wares and table ware.
- Ensures that purchasing standards are maintained and that appropriate vendors are used at all times. Maintains strong and positive relationships with all vendors.
- Responsible for planning, preparation and execution of BOD-driven events, special events, catering and theme meals.
- Works closely with leadership to effectively engage in organization-wide issues and initiatives.
- Serves as a key member of the Leadership Team.
- Acts in a Leadership role at all times and understands role extends to serving as a leader and role model for the entire community.
- Ensures the kitchen and dining room staff understands company expectations and first impression requirements.
- May perform other duties as assigned or requested.
Qualifications, Specific Skills Needed
- Five (5) or more years of management, budgeting, and Culinary experience in the hospitality industry.
- Catering experience preferred
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Able to resolve problems of dissatisfied customers and/or employees.
- Food handlers permit as required by state law and/or Company standards.
- Current CPR/First Aid
- Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Basic Computer skills – Microsoft word, Outlook, and Excel.